If you’re selling a product and you aren’t using Instagram to promote it, you’re really missing out.
Use Instagram correctly, and you’ll build your brand, draw in more loyal customers, and set yourself apart from your competitors. However, if you use it incorrectly, you could do just the opposite.
Check out this simple guide to learn a few of the best Instagram marketing tips, and you’ll be able to quickly understand how you can drive more business.
Remember the 80/20 Rule
First things first – you need to understand that your Instagram followers don’t want all of your pictures to include a sales pitch. If you pitch constantly, you’ll ultimately lose your followers, and that means that you’re likely missing out on sales!
So, remember the 80/20 rule: about 80% of your content should focus on engaging your audience and offering them something they’re interested in, and only the remaining 20% of your content should be used to aggressively promote your brand.
Define and Stick to a Theme
You’re selling something very specific, and you should also have a specific target audience in mind. So, think for a second – what types of pictures would your audience enjoy seeing?
Once you’ve got an answer to that question, build a theme around it. For example, if you’re selling incense, tie-dye shirts, and bohemian jewelry, you can bet that your target audience includes people who have a hippie-ish, bohemian fashion sense. Knowing this, you can keep a “hippie/bohemian” theme in mind and make sure that every picture you post appeals to that specific audience.
By sticking to your theme, you’re sure to offer your target audience something that interests them. That way, you’ll gain happy followers who are willing to engage with you and buy from you!
Build Your Brand
Strategically using Instagram is great way to build your brand. Other than choosing and sticking to a theme, here are a few other ways to do this:
- Share “behind-the-scenes” shots – By sharing photos of what goes on behind the scenes at your business, you add a human element to your company. This will make your company seem more relatable and approachable, so be sure to share these types of images regularly!
- Write a good bio – Ditch the boring bio and write something that shows off your brand personality – it’s a great way to make a positive first impression on anyone who views your profile. Don’t forget to add in a link to your shop too!
- Inject your personality in your captions – A good photo caption can be the difference between 1 like and 1,000 likes. Let’s face it – no one likes to read boring, bland content, especially on a social network. So, be sure to show personality in your captions to help drive engagement
Hashtag it up!
If you use hashtags strategically, you can draw in a lot of new followers. Use them often, and make sure they’re relevant to your target audience.
If you don’t want to use hashtags in your photo caption, you can simply put all of your hashtags in a comment on your picture. That way, the hashtags are still searchable and they don’t distract from your photo caption!
Interact with Instagram Users
Once you’ve identified your target audience, try to think of what hashtags they would likely use. For example, if your target audience includes dog owners, they might use hashtags like “#ILoveMyDog” or “#BestDogEver.” Once you’ve identified these hashtags, you can search for them and interact with the users who are posting them.
Make sure that you aren’t just using an impersonal comment that you’ve copied and pasted for every person you’re interacting with. Take some time to write out a thoughtful, friendly comment that is tailored to the specific user you’re talking to.