Whatever you call them (us?) — millennials, generation Y, entitled a-holes — you should know that there’s a ton of them out there.
And as an ecommerce business owner, you should also know that millennials grew up with more advertisements, products, and services than any other generation before.
What does that mean to you?
It means that there are different rules for selling to this demographic, and there are specific ways to reach out and attract this target audience. Want to find out how you can capitalize on the highest-spending generation in existence?
Here are a few millennial marketing tricks that will help you connect with this audience.
1. Use Nostalgia and Emotional Appeal With Your Millennial Marketing Efforts
Millennials love the throwback shit.
“Do you guys remember Doug and Dexter’s Laboratory?”
Say that to a millennial and you might get a response like, “Oh my god! Those were the best shows! Do you remember Aaahh!!! Real Monsters!?”
As you can see, you can go back and forth with this convo for quite awhile before the nostalgia train makes its final stop.
But that’s the whole thing with millennials — like everyone else, they crave a simpler time. For many of them, this was when everything was all Nickelodeon cartoons and neon-colored slime was liberally poured onto everything.
So when it comes to marketing your small business, you have to keep a few things in mind:
- As with many purchasing decisions, emotions play a big role. Make sure your millennial marketing covers the pain points of your customers and try to appeal to their emotional side.
- Focus on value over features. Often times, your customers are asking, “What’s in it for me?” before they make a purchase. Show them the value of your products or services and how you are helping them, rather than the bells and whistles of your wares.
- Dive into the past. Pokemon GO, Fuller House, Stranger Things — these are all great examples of how the past is repackaged for today’s world. Not only that, but they serve as an amazing example of how nostalgia marketing can create an emotional appeal toward your brand.
2. Use Technology to Your Advantage
Millennials are super tech-savvy, and with how quickly technology evolves, it’s important to try and keep up with tech and social media trends in order to stay competitive.
On average, millennials use two to three mobile devices every day, and that’s expected to increase as wearable devices become more practical and affordable.
What does this mean for you?
It means that you should should focus on:
- Mobile optimization. Your ecommerce site needs to be optimized for mobile phone viewing. Why is that? Because 61% of customers are unlikely to return to a mobile site they have trouble accessing and 40% will opt to visit a competitor’s site instead.
- Email Marketing. Research shows that nearly 73 percent of millennials prefer business communications to come via email. Make sure your email marketing game is strong to appeal to your target audience.
- Multiple social media channels. 95% of millennials follow their favorite brands on social networks. Make sure to regularly update your social media channels with relevant and engaging content if you want to build a strong brand that appeals to millennials.
These millennial marketing tips will help you understand (and connect with) your target market. Once you know how to appeal to your ideal customers, you can use the wording, imagery, and marketing efforts that will be most effective with them.